in computer world, serial communication is the process of sending data one bit at a time, sequentially, over a communication channel or computer bus. serial communication is used for all long-haul communication and most computer networks, where the cost of cable and synchronization difficulties make parallel communication impractical.
serial computer buses are becoming more common even at shorter distances, as improved signal integrity and transmission speeds in newer serial technologies have begun to outweight the parallel buses advantages. the migration from pci to pci express is an example.
Forward to / Cisco / HP pinouts or follow to 26 OLD hardware pinouts.
- The Thunderbolt is the propriteary interface allows the connection of external peripherals to a computer. It combines PCI Express and DisplayPort into one serial signal alongside a DC connection for electric power, transmitted over one cable.
- EIA/TIA-562 serial interface TIA/EIA-562 is a very similar to TIA/EIA-232-F with data rates up to 64 kbps supported.
- EIA/TIA-694 serial interface This is an electrical standard, similar to RS-232-F, but with data rates up to 512 kbps support.
- ITU-TSS V.35 interface Basically, V.35 is a high-speed serial interface designed to support both higher data rates and connectivity between DTEs or DCEs over digital lines.
- RS-232 (EIA-232) serial interface RS-232 is the standard serial communications interface found on many types of equipment such as computers, modems, printers, Microcontrollers, eprom programmers, and a host of other devices. RS232 pinout may be varied.
- RS-232 DB9 This RS232C DE-9 (usually miscalled DB-9) port is available in some PCs and many other devices. An RS-232 serial port was once a standard feature of a personal computer, used for connections to modems, printers, mice, data storage, uninterruptible power supplies, and other peripheral devices.
- RS-366 interface
- RS-422 (9 pin)
- RS-422 (EIA-422) serial interface RS422 is a balanced serial interface for the transmission of digital data. The advantage of a balanced signal is the greater immunity to noise. The EIA describes RS422 as a DTE to DCE interface for point-to-point connections.
- RS-423 (TIA/EIA-423-B) serial interface It is similar to TIA/EIA-232-F, but features a reduced driver output swing and higher data rates.
- RS-449 (EIA-449) interface The RS449 interface is a generic connector specification. It´s not an actual interface. The connector pinning was originally designed to support RS422 for balanced signals, and RS423 for the unbalanced signals. And should have been the succesor of RS232.
- RS-449 (EIA-449) Secondary Common names: EIA-449, RS-449, ISO 4902. Secondary (auxilary) channel
- RS-485 (EIA-485) serial interface has no common pinout
- RS-530 (EIA530) interface EIA-530, or RS-530, is a balanced serial interface standard that generally uses a 25 pin connector. The RS530 isn't an actual interfaceis, but a generic connector specification. The connector pinning can be used to support RS422, RS423, V.36/V.37/V.10/V.11 (not V.35!) and X.21 to name the most popular ones.
- RS232 serial to USB converter cable for interconnection of USB and RS232 serial interfaces
- RS232 to RS422 cable electrically isolated RS422 communication interface to the PC serial port
- RS232 to RS485 cable electrically isolated RS485 communication interface to the PC serial port
- RS232 to TTL serial cable i.e. this cable may be used for wiring cellular phone to PC
- Cisco Auxiliary port for Cisco 1000, 1600, 2500, 2600, and 3600 series routers The auxiliary port is configured as data terminal equipment (DTE)
- Cisco Console port (at Catalyst 5000 Series Switch) The Cisco Consule port is used on the Cisco Catalyst 5000 Series Switch Supervisor Engine III
- Cisco console port for Cisco 1000, 1600, 2500, 2600, And 3600 series routers The console and auxiliary ports on Cisco IOS routers are asynchronous serial ports. The console port is configured as data communications equipment (DCE)
- Cisco console port for Cisco 700 series routers